During the Timelines of the Town of Carrollton, Henry Howard, and Carrollton Courthouse, we discovered a marvelous uniqueness and link between them – Greek Revival in New Orleans. Where did Greek Revival come from? Why is the popular Revival architecture?
HOW GREEK REVIVAL ARRIVED & FLOURISHED
View the interactive map of Greek Revival along with all Henry Howard structures and significant Carrollton buildings in the interactive map.
- Henry Howard, along with and his peers, James Gallier and James H. Dakin, built a broad spread of Greek Revival structures in New Orleans during the mid-19th
- Henry Howard modeled Carrollton Courthouse after the Erechtheion of ancient Greece.
- During a time when Georgian, Federal and Jeffersonian architecture was popular elsewhere in America, why would Greek Revival be the popular choice in New Orleans?
- Along with Lafever’s original teachings in New York City of the structural utility and grandeur of Greek Revival, and with repetitious overview of his plan books, Howard, Gallier and Dakin brought Greek Revival to New Orleans.
- During the 1830s, New Orleans was becoming a immigration hub, and those coming to build in New Orleans wanted an “American” form of architecture.
- The Creole-architectural styles generally resided downriver, in and below the central part of the French Quarter. Americans settled predominately in the upriver direction, starting in the upper French Quarter, particularly above Canal Street.
- What we wanted to highlight with these photographs are that these are temple front facades which are the most prominent feature of the Greek Revival style and that the concentration of Greek Revival structures built in New Orleans during the mid- to late- 19th century built the the visual culture of New Orleans and its neighborhoods.
Download the PDF of the image here.
HIGH-STYLE EXAMPLES OF GREEK REVIVAL IN NEW ORLEANS
Gallier Hall. 545 St. Charles Avenue. It was originally designed to be the City Hall of New Orleans. Construction began in 1845, and the building was dedicated on May 10, 1853. Gallier Hall is a three-story, marble structure fronted by two rows of fluted Ionic columns in the Neoclassical style. It is one of the most important structures built during the antebellum period of the city.
New Orleans Scottish Rite. 619 Carondelet Street. The building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The structure, upon completion in 1853, was immediately occupied by the First United Methodist Church of New Orleans.
The Citizen’s Bank. 620 Toulouse Street. Built in 1838 with quintessential Greek styling desinged by J. N. B. de Pouilly and located directly behind its financial affiliate, the St. Louis Exchange Hotel. Postbellum decline left the magnificent bank empty, and it later became a laundry and storage shed. In 1903, it was purchased with plans to incorporate it into the Hotel Royal operating in the old St. Louis Exchange, but the vision never came to fruition, and by 1910, the old Greek bank was demolished. Today, a modern facade masking a marking garage occupies the site.
The Three Sisters. Rampart Street. Designed with the partnership of James H. Dalkin and James Gallier. Built as residences in 1834, they were later taken over for commercial use. All were demolished by 1952 and the site is now occupied by an automobile service center and its parking lot.
Now that we’ve reflected on the influence of Greek Revival on New Orleans and Carrollton, the historic buildings of Carrollton are important to connect with the area.