The Carrollton Courthouse, located at 701 South Carrollton Avenue, was designed by the noted 19th century Louisiana architect Henry Howard. It was constructed in 1855 as the center of government for Jefferson Parish. After the annexation of Carrollton by New Orleans in 1874, the building was converted into a school. After serving in this capacity for over a century, the courthouse has sat empty since 2013. In June of 2015, the National Trust for Historic Preservation brought national attention to the courthouse by naming it one of America’s 11 Most Endangered Places.
In October 2015, the Carrollton Courthouse became the site of the building conservation studio of Tulane University’s Masters in Preservation Studies program. This website serves to consolidate the information generated during this study, to better inform community members and stakeholders about the history, context, and evolution of this site.
Why did we take on the project? Read here about the Rationale.
Who worked on the project? Meet the students and Contributors.
Since the class:
January 28, 2016: A presentation regarding the findings of the Building Presentation Studio took place on January 28th at 6:00 pm in Room 201 of Richardson Memorial Hall on the Tulane campus.
February 27, 2016: Students Kelly Calhoun and James Rolf were invited to make a presentation of the Carrollton Courthouse at the Benjamin Franklin High School 50-Year Class Reunion.
March 22, 2016: Barri Bronston writes, “Students propose designs for old Carrollton Courthouse” in an online publication: https://news.tulane.edu/news/students-propose-designs-old-carrollton-courthouse
August 16, 2016: James Rolf, a Fall 2016 Studio classmate, discusses development and rezoning of the property with the Orleans Parish Recovery School District. http://uptownmessenger.com/2016/08/carrollton-courthouse-neighborhood-meeting-live-coverage/
March 23, 2017: The Carrollton Courthouse was sold in an auction to Houstonian Carl Mittendorf of Houston, Texas for $4.7 million, who plans to turn it into a senior living community.